Next Generation Researchers Initiative Working Group
NIH and its stakeholder community have for many years been concerned about the long-term stability of the biomedical research enterprise. Increasing numbers of researchers vying for a limited set of resources has led to a hypercompetitive environment in which many highly meritorious applications go unfunded. The current environment is particularly challenging for early- and mid-career investigators.
Over the last several years, NIH has taken numerous steps to balance, strengthen, and stabilize the biomedical research workforce. However, these measures have only taken us so far. To address this challenging issue, and to ensure the long-term stability and strength of the U.S. biomedical research enterprise, NIH proposed the Next Generation Researchers Initiative (NGRI) to support early stage investigators and mid-career investigators through specific funding and evaluation efforts. NIH convened a working group of the Advisory Council to the NIH Director to provide input on the NGRI policy and strategy.
The ACD Working Group on the Next Generation Researchers Initiative (ACD Next Gen WG) will provide feedback on the Next Gen WG recommendations and resultant policies, programs, and activities.
Consistent with this charge, the ACD Next Gen WG will:
- Review data and analyses to assess the impact of the Next Gen policy on the overall NIH scientific portfolio and workforce trends;
- Advise the ACD on activities in support of the aims of the Next Generation Researchers Initiative and biomedical research workforce;
- Advise the ACD on the alignment of recommendations with the work of other ACD and internal NIH WGs regarding the demographics of workforce, age, sex, ethnic/racial diversity, MDs vs. PhDs;
- Provide consultation on strategies for research community input to NIH initiatives in support of the biomedical research workforce
In carrying out its charge, and in alignment with ACD recommendations, the working group will engage individuals at every career stage, as well as research institutions and other stakeholders, to ensure that the Next Gen policy is effective in its goal of providing long-term stability and strength to the U.S. biomedical research enterprise. The ACD Next Gen WG will determine when formal reports are necessary, except when requested at the direction of the NIH Director.
- December 13, 2018 - NextGen Working Group Recommendations and Report
- June 14, 2018
- December 15, 2017
- June 8, 2017