ACD Working Group on Diversity, Subgroup on Individuals with Disabilities
NIH established the Advisory Committee to the Director (ACD) Working Group on Diversity (WGD), Subgroup on Individuals with Disabilities to dedicate time and resources to identify strategies that support individuals with disabilities in the biomedical research workforce. Individuals with disabilities experience unique challenges in pursuing and maintaining biomedical research careers that may differ from the experiences of other underrepresented groups.
The Subgroup on Individuals with Disabilities is charged with supporting the ACD WGD to assist, in turn, the ACD with its advice to the NIH Director on how to best support individuals with disabilities in the scientific workforce. The subgroup will systematically identify:
- Strategies to enhance data collection focused on individuals with disabilities in the scientific workforce
- Current data and trends on the prevalence of individuals with disabilities in the scientific workforce at various career stages
- Evidence-based practices for supporting individuals with disabilities, accounting for variation in disability type
- Programs with demonstrated success in supporting individuals with disabilities
- Perspectives of individuals with disabilities
The subgroup intends to capture this information in a whitepaper along with detailed proposed suggestions for how NIH might bolster its efforts to support individuals with disabilities in biomedical research. The whitepaper and proposed suggestions will be submitted to the ACD WGD and, in turn, to the ACD for review and approval.